Meow! This is our first post, and it is so exciting to be sharing our thoughts with someone who really understands us. We are always amazed how our humans react when they find out new cool facts about us, and to make their week a little bit better – enjoy and have a purrrrtastic week!
Top 15 Facts That Make Cats Super Special:
- A female cat is called a queen, a male cat is referred to as a tom, whereas a group of kittens is called a kindle.
- A cat has the ability to rotate their ears 180 degrees and uses 32 muscles to control them.
- Most cats are lactose intolerant and therefore should avoid milk.
- Cats walk like camels and giraffes: They move both of their right feet first, then move both of their left feet. No other animals walk this way.
- A person who loves cats is called an ailurophile. The word ailuro is the ancient Greek word for cat.
- Cats only sweat through their paws and nowhere else on their body.
- We are particularly happy to report that orange tabbies can have freckles around their mouths and on their eyelids.
- For some reason, male cats are more likely to be left-pawed, while female cats are more likely to be right-pawed.
- In Ancient Egypt cats were considered part of the family and when a pet cat died, all family members would shave off their eyebrows in mourning.
- Cats hate citrus scents and are the only known mammals who can’t taste sweetness.
- Each cat’s nose print is absolutely unique, much like human fingerprints.
- Meowing is a behavior that cats developed exclusively to communicate with people.
- In 2015, composer David Teie partnered with animal scientists to make an album with music especially composed for kitties called Music for Cats.
- People with university degrees are 36% more likely to own a kitty than any other pet.
- It looks like very mean people dislike cats – Napoleon, Genghis Khan, and Hitler are all said to have hated cats. We are sure that the feeling is mutual!