Woof woof! We collaborated with Tiffany (our cute Maltese dog cousin from Italy) to put together a list of fun facts about dogs that she found online and would like to share with you to make your heart smile:
Top 15 Facts Make Us Admire Our Dogs:
- The famous puppy dog eyes are not a sign of guilt but fear – when people berate their dogs, the pooches may look ashamed but don’t really feel guilty as they don’t experience the emotion of guilt.
- Paul McCartney added a high-pitch frequency that only dogs can hear to the end of the Beatles song A Day in the Life.
- Not many people know that three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic – a Newfoundland, a Pomeranian, and a Pekingese.
- An estimated 1,000,000 dogs in the U.S. have been named as the primary beneficiaries in their owner’s will.
- Dogs are as intelligent as a two-year-old child – they can understand up to 250 words and gestures and even perform simple mathematical calculations.
- About 70% of people who own a dog sign their dog’s name on their holiday cards.
- Dogs are just as likely to suffer from jealousy as humans. Scientists in California found that most dogs were indifferent when their owners ignored them until the owners showered their attention on a stuffed dog. Then their behavior changed dramatically, and dogs started snapping and snarling.
- Nearly half – 45% – of all US dogs sleep in their owner’s bed.
- Like human babies, Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot in their skull that closes with age.
- 33% of dog owners admit to talking to their dogs on the phone and leaving answering machine messages for them while away.
- Dogs are among a very small group of animals who show voluntary unselfish kindness towards others without any reward.
- A recent study showed that 66% of men and women would not date someone who didn’t like pets.
- Spiked collars were originally used and popularized in ancient Greece to protect dogs’ throats from wolf attacks.
- In ancient China, people kept warm by putting dogs up their sleeves.
- There are many smartphone applications that facilitate dog dating.